The SRE (Fred) Steinohrt Wagon
This Wagon was one of the pair made for Steinohrt brothers. It is believed to be one of the largest wagons built for timber haulage in Queensland. The axles are branded “John Rigby and Sons, Makers, 1914” followed by a set numbers, under the Britannia emblem. The rear wheels are 1.8m high with 150mm tyres, designed for working in the flat sandy country around Dalby. Such wagons are not successful in steep country due to the high centre of gravity. Besides being made safe and preservation treated, no other restoration has been carried out on the wagon.
In the Stone Age, in some areas, saw like tools with serrate fragments of flint set on the edge of a cured handle were developed, but these were probably used for harvesting grain crops by cutting through the straw. Tools of similar style are known of from Aboriginal site “Kennif Cave” and dated at around 4000 years ago.
In the Bronze Age, useful saws were developed for woodworking. Most were small, but about 1400 BC the Minoans had had bronze saws up to 1.7 metres in length. Iron saws were improved by the Romans, who set teeth to alternate sides of the saw to give a wider cut that would allow the blade to move freely. Saws had then narrow blades held in wooden stretcher frames. In the dark ages little is known of saw design, but in the Middle Ages major developments begun. The M tooth pattern for cross cutting was known by 1477. The narrow bladed frame saw was largely replaced in the 18th century when better quality steel enabled manufacture of saws with wider self-supporting blades. By the early 1800’s, when Queensland was settled, most of the saws in use were similar in form to those available today.
Gympie’s Woodworks Museum & Interpretive Centre has a wide array of Crosscut saws on display. The Museum is open Monday – Saturday, 10am-4pm. Entry is $5.00 per person (children under 5 years free). For more information contact the museum on 07 5483 7691.
The Snigging Display
This illustrates a Hoop Pine log set up with chain-dogs on a slide made from a hardwood tree fork. These trees forks were difficult to find and bullockies were always on the lookout for good forks for future use. The snigging chain and swivel joined the chain-dog to bullock-chains and slide chain and a hook attached the slide to the snigging chain in the event of the log rolling out of the fork. This snigging display is shown in the Museum’s transport area.